Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Insights into Complicated Relationship with Rosalind

This is a quote from Agatha’s book Unfinished Portrait written under the Mary Westmacott novel.  This deals with her feeling towards her daughter, and it seems that the characters in this novel parallel the characters in Agatha’s own life.

 

The relationship between she and her daughter is very complicated.  She tried to form a close relationship with her daughter, but they seemed to never be able to connect.  Agatha felt that her temperament and interests lined up with Archie’s.  Agatha couldn’t understand why her daughter didn’t enjoy playing imaginative little games growing up.  Rosalind’s severe practicality and her lack of artistic curiosity made it difficult for Agatha to relate to her as Agatha had related to her mother, Clara.

 

 

“I don’t know whether I’ve failed with Judy or succeeded. I don’t know whether she loves me or doesn’t love me.  I’ve given her material things. I haven’t been able to give her the other things- the things that matter to me- because she doesn’t want them.  I’ve done the only one thing I could.  Because I love her, I’ve let her alone.  I haven’t tried to force my views and my beliefs upon her.  I’ve tried to make her feel I’m there if she wants me.  But you see she didn’t want me.”

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment